Saturday, January 19, 2019

My Information Search Process


I found it interesting that there has been a process identified and explained as to how we process through identifying, gathering, organizing and presenting information through research.  Having not spent time thinking about this process for myself, it was eye-opening as to how, looking back at myself, I see I have gone through the stages explained by Kuhlthau. 
Using a recent experience in researching and presenting a review and presentation on age-related cognitive deterioration, I will go through each stage and elaborate on the stages in the Information Search Process (ISP) as described by Kuhlthau.  My assignment was to select a topic relating to neuropsychology to research, write a research review, and present a 2-minute presentation to the class. 
In stage one, initiation, I considered a few interests or topics I was interested in but knew little about.  I was uncertain as to what topic to choose, how I was going satisfy the assignment, and all the details in-between.
In stage two, selection, I didn’t know what topics to research and what articles to look for; I just knew I was interested in age-related cognitive decline.  I began to become curious; interested in selecting a topic as well as learning something about age-related cognition.
In stage three, exploration, based on the initial reading and searching through articles, my interest and curiosity increased, but doubt and anxiety increased as I became overwhelmed with the amount of data and information related to age-related cognition and how the brain works.  While I was overwhelmed, I was also curious.  I allowed my curiosity and interests to drive me through the amount of data; keeping my focus on the surface and not digging too deep on the intricate workings of the brain.
In stage four, formulation, I was able to narrow down my focus to how caffeine affects neurological changes in the brain and how they relate to age-related deficits.  I maintained my research or reading on the surface as to not overwhelm myself with data.  The assignment was, moreover, a short review and a two-minute presentation.
In stage five, collection, I continued reading through articles and focused primarily on age-related neurocognitive decline and how caffeine affects specific aspects of cognition, such as working memory.  As I read, I became more informed and even more curious.  However, I still did not understand everything.  I even reached out to an old friend who is a neuropsychologist and professor of neuroscience for some clarification.
In stage six, presentation, I was tasked with taking all of the collected data and information and present them in a short review (we were given a word-count max).  As I worked through my review, focusing on specific aspects of working memory, I found that it was easier to write my thoughts and findings in a way that was understandable.  Writing my own thoughts and presenting the data, were satisfying and brought feelings of accomplishment that I experience even today.
Reflecting on this process has helped me to understand that maintaining an approach of staying on the surface of my research until I have made a selection and have spent enough time considering ideas for my primary focus.  I believe that, given the depth of the assignment and topic, I would have maintained my feelings of being overwhelmed had I not focused on the surface of the research data.

No comments: